Sunday, April 25, 2010

Maiden Voyage

Well the snows finally melted and I figured it was time to take the RV out of storage and give it a test run. What better opportunity that the Leesburg Baker's Dozen Moutain Bike Race. Mark, Brent, Tim and I were all racing so I brought the rig home to get it all set up.

Okay, so who ever heard of "de-winterizing"? Well, I am now an expert. After reading and re-reading the owner's manual 15 or 20 times I finally felt like I was ready to tackle the job. Turns out it is not that hard, just intimidating for a newbie like me. I only had to drain the tank and start over once! Not bad for my first try.

So after that, the guys stopped by and we loaded up all our food and gear for the weekend and headed out to the race site. It was on a farm and so we got to test out the RV's off road capabilities as well. Without any problems we found a great spot for our pit area for the race and set up camp:











We successfully cooked dinner that night and breakfast the next morning. We had fresh coffee and best of all, a hot shower after the race! We did learn some lessons though. For example, the fridge has an automatic shutoff safety feature if the rig is more than six degrees out of level; good to know. Looks like we will be buying some leveling blocks. All in all I would say the trip was a rousing success. I am pretty confident that I can work all of the systems in the rig. Next challenge: setting the Subaru up to be towed as our "dinghy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment