Friday, June 18, 2010

Coming up for Air

Arrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh! I am about ready to call this whole thing off! Who would ever have thought that it would be so difficult to check the air in the tires of a vehicle. Well, with this RV, it is a royal pain.

A little before our shakedown trip I decided to check all the air in the tires. Low and behold, the guage I have for my cars didn't work and I had to go to "the Depot" for a special truck tire gauge. (Tires inflated - 0; trips to the Depot - 1). This was only to discover that yes, the tires were in fact a little low. No problem, a quick trip to the local gas station and I would be right as rain. So off I go. The front tires were no problem, but then I came to the rear ones.

The rear wheels on this RV are "dualies". Normally the problem is how to get air into the inboard tires in this setup. Fortunately, the rig came with valve extenders installed on both rear wheels. (Tires inflated - 4 of 6; Trips - 2). The outboard tires are where my frustrations began. Valve extenders are not normally used for these tires, so none are installed. However, the valve is on the inboard side of the wheel. This means that in order to check the air or inflate the tire you have to have a gauge or hose that fits through one of the holes in the rim. These are about 1.5 inches in diameter and of course, neither my gauge nor my fat little fingers will fit through. Nor can my hands fit between the wheels to get at the valve from the other side. Hmmmmmmm......I know, I can put some valve extenders on the outboard wheels just like on the inboard! Not so fast. I got some extenders (Trips - 3, tires - still 4), but I could not get them through the holes either. So, back to the Depot for some different extenders (Trips - 4). These ones fit through the hole, but I could not fit my hand in there to tighten them onto the existing valve stems. Picture me laying on my back half under the rig with my head practically stuck under the wheel cursing loudly.

So finally, I give up and take the whole rig into the service center and have them look at it. Best part was the guy comes out and looks at the wheel and says, "You know, they make these valve extender thingys for just this sort of thing." "Gee," I say, "Really?"

Trips - 5, Tires - 6. Finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment