Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A word about Day to Day Life

I thought that you all might be wondering a bit about what we are doing when we are not visiting some of the coolest places in North America. So here is a little bit about our day to day lives and some photos to go with it.

I have decided that I am not only “Mommy” but a crew chief/flight attendant. When ever there is a rattle, I investigate to make sure everything is secured. I spend a fair amount of time reminding the girls to stay in their seats and tighten their seat belts.

In the morning, we are up with the sun. The girls, on the other hand, prefer to sleep. So we roll Cate and Lily into our bed and make sure Meg is secured in her bed. A quick batch of coffee, disconnect what ever we are attached to, and we are off. It has always run more smoothly when we travel if we get a couple of hours of driving in before the girls are awake.

On the road, our fuel stops have coincided with meals. While John pumps the gas, I fill up the girls with food. For breakfast, its usually a cereal, muffins, and fruit. Lunch is basically a sandwich. It’s been easy and so far on this trip we have only eaten out once. We do stop for the occasional treat just to keep the vacation feeling going.

We try to be done with the driving by 2 or 3 o’clock. This gives us all a chance to hang out and play. The campgrounds we have been staying at all have playgrounds and for the most part pools or some sort of swimming area. We all hang out , unwind and have a nice meal at the end of the day at our little home on wheels.

When we started this journey, I wondered how the whole cleaning thing would work out. So far, its been a lot like being at home. The girls still don’t clean their rooms or make their beds. I am always pushing a pile of stuff to the side when I need to make a sandwich. I never thought we will still be living with so much clutter even with less stuff! Somethings never change….yep, no one has volunteered to clean the bathroom yet.

Laundry is still piling up. I got the chance to do laundry at the Hidden Valley R.V. Resort in Milton, WI. It was so easy! I threw in a couple of loads and went back to the pool to watch the girls swim! Couple more loads and the girls were still swimming. Final out come: clean laundry and worn out girls! A winning combination!

All in all, I am getting the experience that I had hoped for. We are self-contained so I don’t have to keep up with a trail of belongings as we go from hotel to hotel as I have on other moves/trips. Having all the girls’ gear means they play more. We have not watched TV since we left Virginia! When we arrive, John will pull off the bikes and pull out the bin of balls and toys and they are happy. We have been eating healthy meals by not eating in restaurants or fast food. That alone is something that I am very pleased with. At the end of the day, I can watch the girls ride bikes and make new friends while I have a glass of wine and we make dinner. Life is good!

Just in case you're curious, I have included some pics of the interior

No comments:

Post a Comment